Serve Summer Meals
On average, only 13% of Virginia kids who rely on free or reduced-price school lunches are also getting free meals in the summer through the SFSP.
Summer is the hungriest time of the year. The summer meals program was created more than forty years ago to help children from low-income families get the healthy food they need during the summer months, when school is out of session.
The Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) is administered at the federal level by the USDA’s Food and Nutrition Service (FNS). In Virginia, the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) administers the program throughout the Commonwealth. VDOE reviews and approves sponsor applications, conducts sponsor training, monitors SFSP operations, and processes program payments.
Find Free Summer Meals
The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) offers free summer meals to kids across Virginia similar to School Lunch and Breakfast Programs, except meals are free to all kids that come to a registered summer meals site.
Find Food, Fun, and Friends at a Summer Meals Site near you:
- Visit Summer Food Rocks to view an interactive map of summer meal site locations.
- Call 2-1-1.
- Text FOOD to 877-877 to find a summer meals site near you.
Summer Meals Programs Details:
- Meals are FREE to children and teens ages 18 and younger who come to a summer meals sites
- Free summer meals will help families save money and stretch their already tight food budgets
- Food served at summer meal sites follows USDA nutrition guidelines and are paid for by the USDA
- Summer meals sites are located at safe places for kids to go such as schools, churches, community centers and other places that are safe for kids and teens to go to
- Many sites offer educational and recreational activities that kids of all ages can participate in so they can eat, hang out with friends, and take part in activities offered
- Parents don’t need to apply to the program to get a free summer meal for their kids. They can simply bring their child to a summer meals site in their community, and their kids can enjoy it without the hassle of having to fill out an application.